One of the most common issues that I hear from my clients is that feel they lack self-esteem and confidence. Thankfully, with some willingness and perseverance, this is something which can be easily resolved. I believe on some level, we could all do with a boost of self-esteem, and it is one of the most valuable gifts we can give ourselves. Self-esteem is actually like a muscle and you can use it or lose it – but you can build it up with some daily actions and thoughts.
I am going to share with you some of my top tips for building up your self-esteem so you can begin to start really great about yourself.
If you think you haven’t got the time or maybe you believe you are too busy, then think again! Many of these will only take a few minutes of your time or can be done when you are in the shower or perhaps brushing your teeth each morning.
Remember, surely you are worth a few minutes of your own time?
1. Smile at yourself each morning in the mirror. Make sure it’s a big cheesy grin!
2. Write a list of things that you like about yourself and your positive qualities. These could be the fact you are helpful, creative, traits or the fact that you get things done on time. Make sure you write down at least twenty!
3. Each day affirm to yourself (at least ten times if you can!) ‘My self-esteem is growing every day’ and ‘ I am a valuable, loveable person and I deserve the very best’
4. Quit comparing yourself to others. Remind yourself that there will always be some people who have more than you, and some people who have less. Comparing yourself to others will NOT make you feel good about yourself.
5. Accept compliments gratefully. The next time somebody says something nice about you, take time to write it down or spend a few moments thinking about how nice it felt.
6. Remind yourself that you are HUMAN. Quit beating yourself up for not being perfect. Vow each day to praise yourself, not criticize yourself. This takes practice but even if you stop yourself from criticizing yourself just once then you are making great progress.
7. If you are surrounded by negative people or energy vampires, this will make you feel bad about yourself and will lower your self-esteem. However, if you surround yourself with positive and supportive people you will feel better about yourself and this will raise your self-esteem.
8. Each night before you go to bed, think about (or write down if you wish) five successful things you have done that day. This could be as simple as getting to work on time, helping a friend or cooking a healthy dinner.
9. Set yourself a mini goal to complete each week. This could be anything from trying a new recipe, cleaning out your wardrobe or completing an overdue task at work. One of the best ways to increase yourself self-esteem is to take action – you will feel great about yourself when you do!
10. Be true to yourself. Make sure you are living your own life and not the life someone else wishes you live. If you feel nervous about standing up for yourself etc, make this one of your mini goals. You won’t develop self-esteem if you sit on the sidelines and don’t push yourself to take risks and new challenges.
Remember, we are all capable of increasing our self-esteem with just a little bit of effort. You will also start to take more risks and be less concerned with making a fool of yourself or failing. One of the additional benefits of increased self-esteem is being less concerned about what others think of you or seeking approval from others. Most importantly is the fact that you will feel far more comfortable in your own skin and feel at peace with the wonderful person you really are.
Photo Credit: Stepbystep.com
About the Author:
Lisa works with people all over the world to assist them in feeling good about themselves and releasing outworn negative patterns.
She has her own ‘ Spiritual and Irritable’ show To find out more about Lisa and to sign up for her free newsletter, please see www.amazingcoaching.com.au